The European Space Agency (ESA) intends to seek innovative solutions to prevent and solve the issues of marine litter and especially plastics in water bodies.
ESA anticipates offering 100% funded contracts of up to €200,000 to investigate the technical and economic feasibility of space based applications in support of a plastic-less society.
Key focus areas include:
- Monitoring and modelling plastic pollution in the ocean
- Monitoring and improving the logistics of plastic collection
- Tracking and tracing goods along a supply chain to reduce likelihood of products/waste ending up in water bodies
- Improving waste management techniques
- Supporting the selection of new recycling infrastructure and improving recycling techniques
- Performing ex ante analysis of recycling missions impact
- Developing tele-education programmes tailored to developing economies for educating on marine litter and environmental impact from plastics
Note applicants are requested to obtain a Letter of Authorisation from their respective(s) national delegation(s) prior to submitting a proposal.
ESA envisions that the competition opens on 26 June 2020 (tentative) with a briefing session taking place via teleconference on 24 June 2020.
Deadline: 14 September 2020 (tentative).
You can find out how to apply here